Saturday, December 27, 2014

Weekend Outing - The Nutcracker

Saturday we went and watched the Pacific Northwest Ballet's last year of doing The Nutcracker the way I grew up knowing it. PNB has been performing this version since 1983, just slightly longer than I have been alive. I have seen various other ballet companies perform The Nutcracker throughout my life, but far and away my favorite has been this version. The Maurice Sendak sets are etched into my mind. I will never forget the first time I saw a performance other than the PNB version and was immensely disappointed when the Christmas tree didn't "grow" in the first act.
Three years ago Greg took to me to see The Nutcracker when we were living in Denver. It was beautiful, but I told him nothing compared to the PNB version. I am so glad that I was able to take him to the second to last performance of the rendition I grew up with! Will you go see the new choreography and sets next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment